Thursday, January 21, 2021

Short Review: the Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amplifier

Musical Fidelity A1
This is one of those little amplifiers that I've always wanted to hear for years but didn't get a chance until today.  You probably know the history: designed by Tim de Paravicini, may he rest in peace, this integrated was very popular in the mid-80s and very hot running, but providing that Class A magic for a relative bargain.  It was apparently Musical Fidelity's biggest seller.  It wasn't without its well-documented issues with noisy volume controls and switching, but this particular unit seemed to have held up quite well over the years.

How does it sound?  Like my Aleph J clone, very Class A.  But also very British polite.  I would say the phono stage doesn't quite stack up to my (much more expensive) tubed Audio Research SP8, but the amplification portion was a real surprise.  In my small/medium sized listening room it had no problem driving the 88dB efficinet KEF R500 towers.  Lower bass, like on my UK pressing of the Bee Gees - Trafalgar - was deep and controlled.  The midrange is quite magical, but the sense of dynamics work better with Chet Baker jazz albums then say something like AC/DC.  There is a distinct lack of glare and edge in the treble, the overall sound hewing further to the warmer side than neutral.

So overall a nice little integrated - that runs so hot that after an hour of use I can only hold my hand on top for a half a second before I fear getting burned.  Not a good napping place for those with cats, or children with curious hands!  Nonetheless, back in the past I would have been very happy with this amplifier since it images quite well and does a very good job with vocals.  And it is the sort of sound that makes me search through my stack of records and pull out some old favorites.  Very much a music lover's amp than audiophile-extremis.
This is one of those little amplifiers that I've always wanted to hear for years but didn't get a chance until today.  You probably know the history: designed by Tim de Paravicini, may he rest in peace, this integrated was very popular in the mid-80s and very hot running, but providing that Class A magic for a relative bargain.  It was apparently Musical Fidelity's biggest seller.  It wasn't without its well-documented issues with noisy volume controls and switching, but this particular unit seemed to have held up quite well over the years.

How does it sound?  Like my Aleph J clone, very Class A.  But also very British polite.  I would say the phono stage doesn't quite stack up to my (much more expensive) tubed Audio Research SP8, but the amplification portion was a real surprise.  In my small/medium sized listening room it had no problem driving the 88dB efficinet KEF R500 towers.  Lower bass, like on my UK pressing of the Bee Gees - Trafalgar - was deep and controlled.  The midrange is quite magical, but the sense of dynamics work better with Chet Baker jazz albums then say something like AC/DC.  There is a distinct lack of glare and edge in the treble, the overall sound hewing further to the warmer side than neutral.

So overall a nice little integrated - that runs so hot that after an hour of use I can only hold my hand on top for a half a second before I fear getting burned.  Not a good napping place for those with cats, or children with curious hands!  Nonetheless, back in the past I would have been very happy with this amplifier since it images quite well and does a very good job with vocals.  And it is the sort of sound that makes me search through my stack of records and pull out some old favorites.  Very much a music lover's amp than audiophile-extremis.

 

This is one of those little amplifiers that I've always wanted to hear for years but didn't get a chance until today. You probably know the history: designed by Tim de Paravicini, may he rest in peace, this integrated was very popular in the mid-80s and very hot running, but providing that Class A magic for a relative bargain. It was apparently Musical Fidelity's biggest seller. It wasn't without its well-documented issues with noisy volume controls and switching, but this particular unit seemed to have held up quite well over the years.

How does it sound? Like my Aleph J clone, very Class A. But also very British polite. I would say the phono stage doesn't quite stack up to my (much more expensive) tubed Audio Research SP8, but the amplification portion was a real surprise. In my small/medium sized listening room it had no problem driving the 88dB efficient KEF R500 towers. Lower bass, like on my UK pressing of the Bee Gees - Trafalgar - was deep and controlled. The midrange is quite magical, but the sense of dynamics work better with Chet Baker jazz albums then say something like AC/DC. There is a distinct lack of glare and edge in the treble, the overall sound hewing further to the warmer side than neutral.

So overall a nice little integrated - that runs so hot that after an hour of use I can only hold my hand on top for a half a second before I fear getting burned. Not a good napping place for those with cats, or children with curious hands! Nonetheless, back in the past I would have been very happy with this amplifier since it images quite well and does a very good job with vocals. And it is the sort of sound that makes me search through my stack of records and pull out some old favorites. Very much a music lover's amp than audiophile-extremis.

Review System:
Thorens TD-309 turntable with Ortofon 2M Bronze
Cardas Iridium interconnects
KEF R500 speakers with Cardas Twinlink speaker cable